Re: Output from target in MI mode

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 03:31:01PM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Hi,
> the docs, in "MI Stream records", say:
>
>  `"@" STRING-OUTPUT'
>       The target output stream contains any textual output from the
>       running target.
>
> However, when I compile and run the following command:
>
>   #include <stdio.h>
>
>   int main()
>   {
>     printf("Hi\n");
>     return 0;
>   }
>
> I see this:
>
>    (gdb)
>    -exec-run
>    ^running
>    (gdb)
>    Hi
>    *stopped,reason="exited-normally"
>    (gdb)
>
> The output from target is not prepended by "@". Gdb version is 6.3.
> Is this a bug, or out-of-date docs, or I read the docs incorrectly?

Currently, when running on the host, the output from the inferior is
mixed with the MI output. If you would like to separate the output you
can use the -inferior-set-tty command. This means that your front end
needs to be capable of creating a pty pair. That way, all of the
inferior output will be captured on a seperate descriptor.

The 'target' in teh above sentence I believe is refering to when GDB is
using a remote protocol to a specific piece of hardware. It's not
refering to the host.

Bob Rossi