Re: trouble with gdb backtraces on ppc with gcc4

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 03:02:15PM +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
>  On Wed, Nov 09, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>
> > Olaf Hering <olh@suse.de> writes:
> >
> > > the backtraces in gdb 6.3 and also in gdb-mainline are usually broken in
> > > openSuSE. How does gdb generate them? I guess gdb needs to deal with the
> > > gcc generated debug info.
> >
> > When there is one.  In your example there isn't.  The openSuSE gdb has
> > been patched to make use of the DWARF unwind information, which works
> > quite well if it is present.

FYI, the reason that GDB doesn't is that until fairly recently, GCC
generated bogus PPC unwind info (had the wrong register number for LR).
Someone ought to see whether it's practical to detect and work around
that case.  Or maybe we should just require fixed debug info now.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC