Re: [RFC] The never ending 32-bit vs. 64-bit blues

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 11:45:49PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> In the past we have had a lot of bug reports from people trying to
> debug 64-bit programs with a native 32-bit gdb.  As far as I know we
> don't support any native configuration that allows this.  I've never
> quite managed to come up with a satisfactory solution to deal with
> this.  Here's an attempt to deal with it by making configure complain.
>
> Any opinions about this?

For the situation as you've stated it, I don't agree.  Not only did
Richard post some PPC Linux patches to make this work, I'll have
patches for it for MIPS Linux shortly; I've done all the kernel bits
already and most of the testing.

The patch as you've posted it, however, isn't really very useful for
that goal.  But it does seem useful for another.  When you build a
32-bit PowerPC debugger you should be configuring it for powerpc-linux;
if you configure it for powerpc64-linux but use -m32, you're likely to
get pretty surprising results.  So I have no problem with the patch
itself :-)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC