Re: force scanning of includes?

On Aug 8, 2005, at 10:12 AM, tom fogal wrote:

When I try to print an instance of an object from the library, gdb
thinks it is a struct:

#10 0x000000000040825c in main (argc=1, argv=0x7fffffffe748) at test.cxx:60
60 Renderer->Delete();
(gdb) print Renderer
$1 = (struct vtkRenderer *) 0x52d5b0
(gdb) print *Renderer
$2 = <incomplete type>

gdb doesn't know what a vtkRenderer is. This class is probably defined in vtkRenderer.h. Is the definition actually included there?

If so, then either your debug info is incomplete/incorrect, or gdb is failing in reading it.

I've tried compiling my test.cxx program with '-g' and later '- gdwarf-2
-g3' after reading through some archives.

-gdwarf-2 is enough. It looks like you're on a 64-bit host -- best off not messing with anything but DWARF 2.

I don't know of any problems like this with DWARF debug info, but I'm not too familiar with non-MacOS systems these days. If you'd like to pursue this problem further, start by running readelf -wi on your application and looking for the definition of vtkRenderer.

Jason