Re: solib search algorithm for cross-gdb

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:15:04PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> Indeed.  What's important to really that even a native gdb can be used
> for cross-debugging.  Therefore, it's probably a better idea to
> determine "nativeness" at run time, by comparing the architecture and
> OS/ABI to the system gdb is running on.

I don't see how that helps?  Nativeness is not the most important
factor here.  In fact, it's not even particularly important; a MIPS64
GDB doesn't have to care which ABI it was compiled for or which
architecture the debuggee was compiled for (well, except for
thread_db).

> (child, remote, core) and nativeness.  Obviously for native child and
> core the root would be /.  For remote we should probably default to
> whatever was specified using --with-sysroot when gdb was configured.

No, --with-sysroot should be honored no matter what the target is.  It
should definitely be honored for core.  It should be honored for
native, too - you can be debugging in a chroot relative to GDB.

>    I don't know if that's worth implementing.  I'm inclined to say that
>    your suggestion is progress, at least.
>
> Hmm.  I get the feeling we have been tweaking things too much already
> in the past.  I'd really prefer someone making a well though-out
> design and implementing things properly.

Since no one has ever come up with such a design, I'm keeping my hopes
in check...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC