Re: gdb stack trace problems (Addendum)

> Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 19:19:53 -0400
> From: Christopher Faylor <me@cgf.cx>
>
> What kind of windows-specific solution do you have in mind?  How would
> you know what to unwind?  You could potentially figure out that you're
> stuck in a system function but that doesn't mean that you know the
> state of the stack.
>
> If a function doesn't set up a frame pointer and there is no debugging
> information available, how would one derive a stack frame?  I could
> imagine a really complicated "search the stack" technique but I can't
> see how it would ever be foolproof.

Does the MSVC debugger manage to display a sensible backtrace in this
case?  If it does not, we don't need to worry, I think.

If it does, then perhaps teh frameless functions in system DLLs follow
some pattern in their prologue that could help us?  Or perhaps they
save stack-related info in some Windows-specific place?

Just my $0.02.