Re: Replace char * with something sensible

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 10:51:02PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Rumor has it that latest versions of GCC whine about mixing "char *"
> and "unsigned char *".  To fix that, Andrew committed some patches
> that replace these with a "bfd_byte *", but I think we should not use
> BFD data types in GDB unless they refer to data structures returned by
> functions from the BFD library.
>
> Possible solutions:
>
>  . use "void *" (suggested by Mark Kettenis).
>
>  . define a new data type gdb_byte and use "gdb_byte *".
>
> I think Mark's suggestion should be considered first, since it avoids
> the pain of introducing yet another custom data type.

I am marginally in favor of gdb_byte.  What pain would it cause,
besides a huge sed for the existing bfd_byte cases?

These are byte-oriented buffers, so using a type where we can perform
byte-oriented arithmetic without superfluous casts seems like a good
choice to me.  Converting to void * (and not using the GCC extension
which allows arithmetic on void *) would be a painful process.

It's not as if non-8-bit-byte support is anywhere on our horizon.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC