Re: Windows support in GDB

At QNX we're transitioning our Windows SDK from Cygwin to MinGW so these patches are very useful for us. I would expect that in the long term it will be in our best interest to make sure that this stuff continues working. Of course, I'm just a developer and don't make policy but at least there's one other company that will want to keep this stuff going.

cheers,

Kris

Mark Kettenis wrote:

Guys, I'm getting a bit of an uneasy feeling here.  It may be that I'm
getting the wrong impression here, but I've seen quite a bit more
Windows-related patches than I had in mind when Mark started submitted
his first patches and said they were fairly limited and mostly some
configure bits.  The problem here is that they mostly concern the
non-POSIX nature of Windows, which sets its quit far apart from the
traditional Unix-like systems that have been converging towards POSIX
for quite some time now.  This means that we really need to have some
commitment from the Windows user community for maintaining this stuff.
Otherwise this will become another MetroWerks disaster.

It's fairly obvious that this development is coming from CodeSourcery.
There's nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to ask CodeSourcery what
their commitment to maintaining this new code is.  In the past we have
seen quite a few contributions from embedded sofware companies.  In
many cases these contributions were apparently done as contract work,
and after the work was completed the code was never touched again.
Can CodeSourcery gives some clarification on this matter?

Mark