Re: Is it possible to save breakpoints to a file?

Russell Shaw wrote:
RT wrote:

Tom Tromey wrote:

"RT" == RT <mfoc73@dsl.pipex.com> writes:

If you are using the insight GUI for gdb, that will save your breakpoints
for you as part of the project preferences. It writes them into .gdbinit
automatically and reloads them next time you're debugging the same
executable.

RT> Which makes life rather difficult if you have a break set in a shared
RT> library. If you reply 'yes' by mistake when Insight asks if you want
RT> to make the break pending on the library load, then gdb will rapidly
RT> crash.

I don't know if this is in the gdb bug database; it should be.

I haven't looked at this in detail. I suspect the problem is that Insight is no longer actively maintained, and so it's difficult to get a version of insight that uses the current gdb.

There's no point filing bugs that are Insight-specific; there's no one to work on them. A trivial licensing problem has lead to gdb having no usable GUI (that I know of, anyway; and I've used both ddd and insight). If anyone at the FSF knows of a way to debug multi-threaded shared-library apps without a GUI, then I'd be really pleased to hear from them. And, if I don't hear from them, I guess that they'll agree that gdb is an 80's dinosaur, and it's time to put it to bed.

What is the licencing problem? I've been going to make a new gui for
gdb, but i'm busy with too much other stuff.

I'm not sure of the details. Basically, it seems that RH wants to donate Insight to the FSF, but the FSF doesn't want it, for what appear to be ideological reasons. There are probably others on this list who have a much better idea of the problem than I have.

- Richard