what is the $cdir and $cwd?

Is the $cwd the current working directory of the
target?
And the $cdir the directory is in which the source
file was compiled into object code?
And how the $cdir save to obj files (add -g when
compile or others flags)?
Sometime even I use -g,
when I use
strings file.o
I also can't find the source file name in the result,
it that mean the source file name is not contained in
file.o?

How can I control the directory saved to obj files as
absolute path or relative
path?

Thanks in advance
gan