Re: GDB 6.4 and translations

> From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@gnu.org>
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 19:27:19 -0500
>>> From: Paul Schlie <schlie@comcast.net>
>>>
>>> Although I don't know if it's been considered or even an issue, but it may
>>> be worth trying to avoid the use of Unicode's typographical quote characters
>>> in otherwise ASCII message string output on even Unicode supported platforms
>>> by default
>>

>> Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about; please consider
>> elaborating, e.g., by providing an example of such a problematic
>> message.
>
> Yep, huh?  Can someone please post a concrete example of what this is
> all about?
>
> Andrew

Basically GCC 4.0 has tentatively adopted a convention to allow the
specification of a quoted format specifier something basically like:

 printf("quoted %qX" some_value) => quoted "123", for example.

Which I is arguably cleaner then attempting to escape embedded quotes
within format strings; but has then further chose to hard code the
generation of Unicode left/right typographical quote characters in lieu
of vanilla ASCII quote characters by default if the local environment
variable indicates that Unicode is supported, which may be taking
things too far, see: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-10/msg01271.html

(but the good news is that it may be relatively easily overridden by
modifying local environment variables seen by GCC prior to being invoked)