Re: Debugging a large program

Doing this means abandoning the psymtab and instead having symbol code directly read each symbol or address as it is needed, and with the minimum auxulary information (i.e., direct from disk).

For what it's worth, we've been working on a less ambitious scheme
at Apple for the past month, with similar benefits.

(dejavu, sigh)

Andrew's approach is much cooler, but it's definitely not something
that could be done with stabs (as it exists today), and we're stuck
on stabs on MacOS X for a while still.

Anyway, just a point of information.  It was a HUGE win for us on
extremely large applications where they have many large solibs and
the developer is only debugging code in a couple of them.

The existing symfile code can be pushed down a level, hiding it behind a new symtab proxy.

Andrew