Re: core file not loaded

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:

 Daniel> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 04:16:08PM +0200, Fabian Cenedese
 Daniel> wrote:

 >> >More specific - what target triplet?
 >>
 >> Sorry, --host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=powerpc-eabi
 >> My understanding was, that I could take a memory snapshot of the
 >> target (in this case about 4MB) and feed this to gdb so gdb will
 >> use this file for read accesses instead of reading a physical
 >> target (in addition to the symbolfile). Is this wrong? Or is this
 >> not a core file?

 Daniel> That's not a core file.  You can probably convert it to a
 Daniel> core file, but you'd also have to teach the BFD and GDB
 Daniel> powerpc-eabi support to recognize it as a powerpc-eabi core
 Daniel> file.

 Daniel> A core file is one of several "standard" formats, generated
 Daniel> by various operating systems - lately, a particular kind of
 Daniel> ELF object.  Easiest might be to convert your binary dump to
 Daniel> an ELF core file and copy support from powerpc-linux.

 Daniel> Note that a memory dump isn't enough; for instance, you've
 Daniel> lost all register values.

The other issue (at least when last I looked) is that gdb is only
willing to handle corefiles for native builds, not for crossbuilds.

If your target state is more than just a single executing program,
you're really dealing with a kernel corefile, which is a whole
different class of beast.

	  paul