Re: Bumping MI protocol

> Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 07:14:36 -0400
> From: Bob Rossi <bob@brasko.net>
> Cc: GDB <gdb@sources.redhat.com>
>
> Exscuse me for being frank, your statements about this question are foolish.

I, for one, don't think Nathan's comments are foolish.  As a volunteer
project, we shouldn't waste too much time discussing hypothetical
issues.

> Nathan, how could a front end implement an MIX protocol if it doesn't
> know what functions that protocol provides?

No one requires a front end to implement support for features that are
introduced by GDB versions released after the front end is released.
The only way for a front end to support new features is to track GDB
development, and check the GDB and MI versions to know what commands
are safe to use.

Put it differently, even if the MI version would be incremented each
time a new command is added (which IMHO would be an unwise policy),
you would need an update for the front end to support that command.