Re: probing GDB for MI versions

> Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 09:12:52 -0400
> From: Bob Rossi <bob@brasko.net>
> Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
>
> Yes, I understand, that was my first idea. However, you can see that
> it is a "catch 22". If you do not know what version of MI to start GDB
> with, than you can not understand how to parse the output of the MI
> commands.

I don't see any catch: the output of this specific command could be
made very simple so that it will not need any parsing, just some
trivial string matching or at most regexps.

You will need similar machinery for parsing the output of the
command-line switch you suggested.

> > To solve that, a front end that is willing to support old versions of
> > GDB will need to have a database of old GDB versions and the MI
> > versions they supported.
>
> I don't see what the GDB versions have to do with, am I missing
> something? I am only interested in the MI versions.

New MI versions always come with new GDB versions, right?