Re: Building GDB with MinGW (3)

Christopher Faylor wrote:

Joel Brobecker wrote:

real problem. (READLINE)

As far as I can remember, GDB has not been ported to MingW. And indeed, porting readline is one of the problems to solve for that port. There is a group that has posted patches that allow you to build GDB on MingW, they have a web site. I don't know the URL but google should help you find it. Last I heard, they had ported GDB 5.3, but maybe they have patches for a more recent release now.

Actually, it has. See <http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml>.

Maybe at some point someone will actually do it right and try to submit
patches to gdb.

On the up side, the author says in his patch, "These changes have yet to be submitted for review." This would seem to imply that he intends for them to land back in the mainline in the future.

One of the tarballs for the most recent snapshot version includes the
patch against the mainline. It's from around May, so I suspect the
patch will require some massaging if you want it to work against
current CVS. The best thing about the port is that, unlike the cygwin
port, hitting ^c to stop the inferior seems to actually work most of
the time (assuming you run the gdb in a cmd window and not a cygwin
window). This is because it relies on windows native events rather
than cygwin signals.

CTRL-C works fine on cygwin. I use it all of the time.

In fact, CTRL-C does not rely on cygwin signals. gdb doesn't know about
cygwin signals from the inferior process. I haven't looked at what
mingw does but it is likely to be the same code.

You're right on all counts; sorry for the misinformation. I looked into this once many moons ago, and completely misremembered the details.

Dan