Re: Identifying bottom-of-stack

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 12:00:50PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:

Hello,

In the multi-threaded case, GDB's having fun identifying the outer-most (oldest) frame and, unfortunatly, has this habit of backtracing past it :-/

Does anyone see a problem with:

- GLIBC marking those outermost frames with CFI indicating that both the CFA and the RA are "unknown"?

- GDB's CFI unwinder recognizing this and returning a NULL frame ID (gdb doesn't unwind _past_ such a frame).

I think this would give us a portable way of terminating the stack.

comments?

This would make debugging in the outermost frame quite annoying,
wouldn't it?  We won't be able to find any frame relative variables.

Why? Frame relative variables us DW_AT_frame_base.

I realize users rarely need to do this, but if we're going to design a
solution it should take this into account.