OpenOffice.org and gdb

There are a few little glitches with gdb that make trying to debug
OpenOffice quite difficult, I've put together a little set of testcases
at http://people.redhat.com/caolanm/mygdbproblems.tar.gz The exact gdb
version is 6.1post-1.20040607.8rh from fc3 development but I've
struggled with similiar ones in other cvs varients and older releases
for some time.

1.  make gdbtestc

Deferred breakpoints that get resolved in dlopened modules only work the
first cycle of debugging, subsequent runs attempt to reset them often
break ?

2. make gdbtestc++

The known issues of gdb/1091 & gdb/1193. Not being able to set
breakpoints in constructors :-(

3. make gdbtest2c++

Deferred breakpoints don't allow deferring on an unseen c++ member
function ?, but do allow breaking on an unseen line i.e. c++test2cmdsA
works, while c++test2cmdsB doesn't

4. make gdbtest3c++

A debug build of OOo is extremely large, the default is to build it
without debugging symbols and then only build the parts being debugged
with symbols enabled. The component model should boils down to
effectively this test, with the problem that deferred breakpoints
apparently can't be set from non debug code ? though the lib being
loaded will have the desired symbols.

I can work around 4 for my own needs by building the bit of OOo that
contains main with debugging enabled, and I can work around 3 by
restricting myself to line numbers, but 1 and 2 are a real curse.

Are there any other known workarounds that I can employ, or is there
simply a better compile flag incantation I should use :-) I guess
I should just log bugs against them.

C.
-
Caolan McNamara               |  caolan@skynet.ie
http://www.skynet.ie/~caolan  |  +353 86 8161184
I have a wonderful proof of that theorem, but this line is too small to show it