Re: [maint] [maint] Michael Chastain for testsuite

>>(2) Testing submissions -- I mean to require that every patch says
>>    how it was tested (or not tested).  I don't think it's useful
>>    to formalize or standardize how a patch is tested beyond that.
>
>Does that translate into every bug reported eventually gets a test?
>Would it make sense to add the test for a reported bug before a patch to
>fix it is submitted?

I'd like to see a testcase being *required* to be added that shows a
current failure *before* a patch for its fix is accepted.  This would
expand the regession capability quite immensely.  Then we'd have a
much more palatable problem of having too many testcases that stress
various areas of the code, a problem that I'd much rather see :)

Of course testcases may overlap so a failure for one problem may be
fixed by a different patch, but the submitted testcase adds to the
arsenal we could use for regressions, and if we're smart enough, we
could link the testcases together.

In fact, I'd like to also require for each testcase information in the
testcase about what PR it is submitted for so if a regression occurs
an automates tester can point it out as a way to stat to figure out
*why* it failed.

--
Peter Barada
peter@the-baradas.com