Building a cross-gdb with host=i686-pc-linux-gnu and target=powerpc-apple-darwin

Hi, this is my first posting here.

How can I build a cross-gcc on my Linux box (host=i686-pc-linux-gnu) for
kernel debugging on my iBook G4 running Mac OS X 10.3.4? Apple doesn't cover
this issue in their docs and I couldn't find any decent cross-gdb information
on the net.
I tried to use gdb-5.3 with a more recent libbfd (the included one doesn't
know about Darwin), but this gives me a gdb that doesn't understand Mach-O:
"I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that.  Symbol format `mach-o-be' unknown."
gdb-6.3 builds, but I don't get a gdb, only a few support libs.
I also tried Apple's gdb-309, which seems to need Darwin headers.
Maybe I can get it to work if I just copy those over.

Has someone tried this?
gdb should easily do the job, but I had no luck yet.
Thanks for your help!

Gregor