Remote/simulator differences

Hi,

I'm doing some work trying to get GDB to work with the eclipse IDE.
However, I can't get my head around a difference between simulator and
remote targets. With the simulator, I can do:

cpu-elf-gdb prog.x
target sim
load
run

And the program runs fine. However, with a remote target, when I execute
run, it says the program has already started:

cpu-elf-gdb prog.x
target remote /dev/com1
load
run
The program being debugged has been started already.
Start it from the beginning? (y or n)

What's causing it to think that the program has already been started? Is
it possible that something in the remote stub is causing this? Any
insight would be appreciated. I'm using GDB 6.0.

Cheers,
JonB