Question about args.exp test

Hi,

that's perhaps a dumb question but I don't understand what gdb.base/args.exp
is testing in case of the 2nd and 3rd test.

Both tests are, according to the comment, testing to give empty arguments
to the inferior.  The args application just prints argc and the whole
argv vector unchanged to stdout.

Well, that's ok, but I don't understand this:

args.exp does not test the empty arguments being empty, but instead it
tests if '', two apostrophes, are printed.  But that's not what the
args application prints.  It just prints the empty string and a \n.

I'm just looking for arm and the arm simulator returns actually empty
lines where the empty arguments are printed.  That looks correct to me,
but the tests fail, due to the missing ''.

Why is args.exp expecting two apostrophes and who's supposed to add them?
The args testapplication apparently isn't.

Corinna