Re: Internal GDB error

Check PR 1170:

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=1170

Because of a bug in gcc or in /bin/as, bad debug information is generated.
Instead of terminating gracefully, GDB crashes the way it does. The PR
describes a work-around that you can implement in GCC.

Disclaimer:
I am neither familiar with gdb, gcc nor with /bin/as internals and
interfaces.
All I wanted is to debug my code in this setup....

David Frager:
> I am having problems running gdb in an AIX 4.3.3 environment.  I can set
> tracepoints, however, if I attempt to invoke any additional actions
(i.e., step,
> next, etc.), I receive the internal gdb error below:
>
> Any recommendations to help determine if this is a gdb bug or local
environment
> issue would be appreciated.

My environment is:
AIX 4.3.3 running on a Motorola Powerstac

GNU gdb 6.0
are
conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions. There is absolutely no warranty
for
GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details. This GDB was configured as
"powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0".

g++ (GCC) 3.3

Breakpoint 1, gsmFmInterface::getFileList(fileCriteria const&)
(this=0x2ff229c8,
criteria=@0x2ff22b08)
    at gsmFmInterface.C:168
168       if(!criteria.getRstrDirOnly())
Current language:  auto; currently c++
(gdb) n
gdbtypes.c:533: internal-error: make_cv_type: Assertion `TYPE_OBJFILE
(*typeptr)
== TYPE_OBJFILE (type) || TYPE_STUB (*typeptr)' failed. A problem internal
GDB has been detected, further debugging may prove unreliable. Quit this
debugging session? (y or n) y

gdbtypes.c:533: internal-error: make_cv_type: Assertion `TYPE_OBJFILE
(*typeptr)
== TYPE_OBJFILE (type) || TYPE_STUB (*typeptr)' failed. A problem internal
GDB has been detected, further debugging may prove unreliable. Create a
core
file of GDB? (y or n) y IOT/Abort trap(coredump)