Strange debugging problem

I am going crazy with this problem and have checked as much as I know how. I will try and give all the information that I can.

I am remote debugging an embedded target (--target=powerpc-motorola-elf). The remote system loads the primary executible at a fixed address and subsequent shared libaries are all relocatable. When the target notes that a shared library has been loaded, it reports to the host which is running gdb: shared library file name, and the addresses of the .text .sdata .sdata2 .bss and .sbss sections.

The main executible can be debugged just fine.

The any functions in a shared library that the main executible calls can be stepped into, source level debugged, but assembly language viewing/debugging is disabled.

The any functions in a second shared library that the first shared library calls can only be debugged by specifying the source file name in the dropdown-combobox or by assembly stepping into the function.

Any clue as to what might be the problem?

sps