Re: Apple version gdb-309

On Mar 29, 2004, at 3:22 PM, Nick Roberts wrote:

More specifically will the future versions for Mac OS
( == powerpc-apple-darwin? )  have the changes for -stack-list-locals
and
-var-list-children that I committed to the FSF repository on
2004-01-20?

Yes. Both these commands are different in our gdb from the version in
the FSF repository, but as I merge the differences, I will try to keep
the behavior you added working. It doesn't look too hard, though in
the case of stack-list-locals, your change uses argument values that we
had already taken (I think Jason mentioned this at the time you were
adding it). So I have to get Xcode to change as well. Fortunately for
now we keep the Xcode and gdb versions in sync, so this won't be a
problem...

Jim,

I did say to Jason (12 Dec 2003):

Me> I don't see why both our changes can't be accommodated. This patch uses a
Me> switch statement for each value of print_values. If for some reason Apple
Me> need -stack-list-locals 2, I dont mind using another value.

He didn't seem enthusiastic but perhaps I missed his point. All my changes to
Emacs and GDB are still in CVS, so, as far as I'm concerned, you're welcome to
change my values if this makes things easier for your merge.

I think Jason's point was that as long as we were just using numbers, we were going to keep stepping on each other's toes, and it would be better to use string enumerators. That would make code that users of the mi would write easier as well. So there is no reason to go out of our way fixing something that was not a very good solution in the first place...

And it won't be hard to get the Xcode folks here to adjust to this, so I'll just fix it here for now. But then we should cook up a set on name strings to stand in the place of the {0,1,2} arguments that we currently use.

Jim
--
Jim Ingham                                   jingham@apple.com
Developer Tools