Re: Branch created for inter-compilation-unit references

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 03:08:15PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> I've just created "drow_intercu-20040221-branch".  I'm going to post and
> commit the work I've done over the past two days, which starts at the
> opposite end of the problem from several approaches I've seen here in the
> past.

> GCC HEAD can already generate the necessary debug information if you want to
> play with it; use -gdwarf-2 -feliminate-dwarf2-dups.  I expect it will be at
> least a few more days before GDB can read that output.

The branch is at this point, I hope, complete.  Michael, if you have
the chance, I would appreciate it if you could run it through your test
harness.  I would be flabbergasted if it affected any stabs target
(there's only one trivial patch outside of dwarf2read.c), and the new
code will not be heavily exercised by current GCC output, but the risk
for the latter is higher.

If you're really feeling adventurous, you can test the new code when
using DWARF-2 and GCC 3.3-branch, 3.4-branch, HEAD, tree-ssa, et
cetera: just add "--target_board unix/-feliminate-dwarf2-dups" to
RUNTESTFLAGS.  HEAD GDB will choke on this, the branch does not in my
testing.

Anyone else with a compiler that can generate this sort of data is
invited to test the branch also.  Please let me know how it goes.

I will start submitting preliminary patches, those which can also act
as bug-fixes or optimizations to the current dwarf2 code, tonight or
tomorrow.  Merging the branch may have to wait until after GDB 6.1.
Personally, I'd love for it to be included, since the sooner we release
a GDB that can understand this data the sooner GCC can emit it by
default; but I want at least some more testing on the branch before
I suggest that.  My timing for this project was somewhat unfortunate.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz