gdb-5.3: how to avoid soft breakpoints?

I have an embedded target running gdb stub on an openrisc processor (www.opencores.org). The application is running from ROM, so I cannot set soft breakpoints. I worked the gdb stub so it will ERR Z0 packets, and use Z[123] packets. This works perfectly well with hbreak. break will attempt to set a soft breakpoint and fail. So do "next" and "finish" when they try to set a breakpoint.

Is there any way around that? Can I have gdb totally avoid soft breakpoints?

Heiko