Re: flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

Richard Stallman wrote:

>The point is that most programs nowadays use Autoconf, so other uses are
>few.

Sorry to barge in again, but config.guess is used by lots of things
besides programs that use Autoconf; e.g., various sysadmin scripts,
testing and compilation frameworks, etc. etc., where Autoconf is
inappropriate but config.guess is immensely useful. I've written many
such tools myself, and I'd even venture to guess that the numer of such
uses is on the same order as the number of Autoconf uses.

Config.guess is not just a utility for Autoconf; it's a standalone tool,
and any changes made to it should be evaluated in that light. Please
don't make incompatible changes without a very good reason.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." --Emerson

--
Brane Äibej   <brane@xbc.nu>   http://www.xbc.nu/brane/