Interface Specification Survey for Embedded GDB: BDM, JTAG, COP?

Hi!

I successfully build a simple BDM interface for a PowerPC board (the
PPCMB/850) so that one unit can be used as the BDM interface controller
for the other unit.

It is in my plans to port the GDB to this PPCMB/850 environment (perhaps

with the remote proxy protocol using a serial PPP connection). It is
conceivable for the debugging H/W interface to support other pinouts and

specifications, beyond Motorola MPC8xx BDM.

Given that this can lead to moderately priced hardware with GPL-licensed

embedded software, I am asking for user requirement feedback:

  1)  Pinouts and specifications for your *most wanted* in-system
degugging port (GDB: BDM, JTAG, COP?).

  2)  Required protection and isolation between the control unit and the

target unit, if any.

  3)  Software priorities among a) direct SW control of the debugging
port for new board development b) flash programming in the target
system, e.g. as a production tool, c) full GDB support for your target
processor architecture?

  4) Any interest in a JTAG port support in a moderately priced hardware

with GPL-licensed embedded  software? (CONNOTECH needs this for
production testing PPCMB/850 units)

Thanks in advance.

--

- Thierry Moreau