GDB can't read core

I'm working on an IXP425-based system (actually right now the IXDP-425
board from Intel) and have built a cross-toolchain using Dan Kegel's
crosstool script. I've added a "cross" gdb (gdb-6.0) built to execute on
an i386 but with the target set to arm-unknown-linux-gnu. I'm trying to
get this gdb to look at a core file generated on my target board whan an
app segfaulted. I transferred the core file back to my development machine
and run gdb and tried to get it to read the core file. The following is
the error I get:

$ arm-unknown-linux-gnu-gdb -c ./core
GNU gdb 6.0
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--target=arm-unknown-linux-gnu".
GDB can't read core files on this machine.
(gdb)

I've searched around and found some references to this problem, but never
did see a definitive answer (at least that I could understand). So, should
it be possible to debug core files in this way? Any tips on how to
proceed?

Thanks...