Re: GDB interface with simulator

Hi Rama,

Rama Singh wrote:
I am working on a cycle accurate simulator and for the
purpose of debugging application, I wish to use gdb.
Now gdb has in build support for about a dozen most
popular simulators. It interacts with the simulator as
a library. I wish to use my simulator as an
independent process running on the same machine or on
other machine. Is it posible to have gdb interact with a simulator
over a socket? Also where can I find more information
on this? I believe that implementing this will involve
writing a gdb stub that will compile with the
application and thus interact with the host gdb. Am I
getting things correctly or is there some other
possible way too?

Take a look at the gdbserver application, distributed with GDB. Speifically, the remote-utils.c file will show you the socket interface, and provide some tips on how to implement it.

You basically just implement stubs to read/write memory, query registers, set breakpoints, that sort of thing.

Then, read

http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_33.html

to see the format of the remote debugging packets.

You might just be able to integrate the gdbserver application into your simulator.

Good luck,

John