Re: gdbserver version quandry

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:50:00AM +1000, John Williams wrote:

Hi folks,

I have recently completed a port of uClinux to the Xilinx Microblaze soft-processor architecture.

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux.

I am now investigating providing gdbserver support for this architecture.

If your gdb 5.0 port supports remote debugging at all, then probably easiest is to take the most recent version of gdbserver and work from that. Then adapt it to speak to your older client. Not much should be required.

Yes - microblaze gdb 5.0 does supoprt remote debugging. Xilinx never intended to support (uC)linux, so they wrote their own gdbserver-type program to run on the host, which then communicates with a stub on the target via a proprietary serial interface.

So then, the question becomes: is there any info online about providing new arch support for gdb/gdbserver?

Also looking at gdbserver version strings in the Makefiles - I see that gdbserver versions don't track gdb versions. In both the gdb5.0 and gdb5.1 distributions, the gdbserver version string is 4.12.3... ???

Thanks,

John