Re: ARM

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 02:42:48PM -0400, Larry McCourry wrote:

> Does the following not mean that it doesn't work?

That depends on your definition of "it doesn't work".  My read
is that gcc 3.3 isn't compatible with released versions of gdb.
However, I used gdb 5 with gcc 2.95 and 3.2, and it worked
swimmingly.

> Anyway, gdb-6.0 doesn't work for me. I do the following on
> win2k and cygwin, talking to an AT91EB40 board with the Angel
> debug monitor running:
>
> 1. arm-elf-gdb
> 2. set remotebaud 9600
> 3. target rdi com1
>     gdb hangs
>
> In hyperterm I can see angel sending "valid" stuff out the
> serial port when I press reset on the board. Bincom-loaded
> programs work on the board.

That's an RDI problem, it's got nothing to do with the frame
format incompatibility -- not to say that once you get RDI
working you won't have frame format issues.

My first guess is that serial port support in your version of
Cygwin is broken -- that has been the case at various points in
the past, and I don't know what the current situation is.

My other first guess is you've got a baud rate mismatch.

My second guess is that there's something wrong with the Angel
monitor on your board.

My third guess is that bitrot has finally killed RDI.  1/2 ;)
RDI suffers from a number of problems (not all of them my
fault), but it can usually be made to work.

Try enabling rdi protocol logging, and then we can see if gdb
is seeing what Angel is sending.  It's something like one of
the commands below:

 set maint rdilog enable
 set rdilog enable
 set maint rdilogenable on
 set rdilogenable on

You also may want to try disabling the rdi heartbeat feature
(in my experience it confuses the Angel monitor and make things
lock up as well).  I don't remember the exact command for that
either...

"Just because I wrote it, it doesn't mean I remember how to run it."

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com