Re: Tracepoint support in Cygnus GDB ?

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:15:08AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:07:01 -0400
> > From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>

> > > Still, it requires a feature in Binutils that only exists on
> > > GNU/Linux.
> >
> > That is not correct.  It works for any ELF target.
>
> Perhaps I don't know something: I thought that separate debug info
> required support from Binutils, to be able to produce the files with
> the debug info.  I'm sure at some point someone said here that this
> option is not available on all systems.  Isn't that right?  What is
> the exact procedure of producing the separate debug info?

It's not available on non-ELF targets :)  Although, it could be
implemented, if anyone cared to do so.  It requires use of either
elfutils or of binutils' objcopy program.  See the manual for
--only-keep-debug and --add-gnu-debuglink.

> > Don't you consider improved debugging of optimized code to be
> > a feature?  Especially considering how abysmal support is now.
>
> I consider this a bugfix.

Having both implemented and used it, I do not.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz