RE: GDB/ELF/Cygwin source path problem

Hi Kris,

Try coff_symfile_read in coffread.c or elf_symfile_read in elfread.c.
I thought Cygwin was still a COFF platform but if you say it's ELF,
then elfread.c would read it.

> The thing was that the same ELF file gave different results
> with Cygwin version 1.3.22-1 compared to the current
> 1.5.x-y versions available.

Okay, that mostly rules out the idea that gcc is putting strange
information into the file.

> Anyway, what I wanted was to do some old fashioned debugging
> with rebuilding Insight (and GDB) with some printf's inside to
> see what was going on inside the symbol reader. And if anyone
> knows whereabouts source file names and their paths are read,
> I would appreciate a tip.

It's not that hard to debug gdb with gdb.  The procedure is:

  % gdb gdb
  (gdb) set prompt [top]
  [top] set arge myfile.exe
  [top] break elf_symfile_read
  [top] run

I've never done it with insight so I don't know how the gui plays
with this.

Michael C