Crash log

Hi. This isn't really a gdb question, but I don't know where else to ask.

When a program catches a bad signal such as SIGSEGV I want to write a crash
log entry before the program exits. Is there anything useful I can put in
the log besides the name of the program and when it crashed? Is it ok to
write this log from my signal catcher, or should it first fork?

Is there some kind of useful state info (assuming the program contains no
debugging info) that I can write to a log file at the time of death? Can I
get an instruction pointer that I can relate back to the original souce
somehow to determine what line of code crashed?

Thanks!

Robin
Robin.Rowe@MovieEditor.com   Hollywood, California
www.CinePaint.org   Free motion picture and still image editing software