how does gdb read type descriptions for structures

Hello everyone,

most time I am only using gdb and most time via ddd but I have got a question for gdb internals.

I am trying to reconstruct type descriptions for a tree of structures from stabs debug informations included in executables.

Using for example 'ptype my_structure' in gdb delivers me components and types of my_structure but it looks like gdb prints part of the source code ... or does it evaluate its symbol tables or stabs information via BFD directly?

Furthermore I need to know the offset/address of each component of each substructure in the structure tree ... we are using quit complex structures.

Using 'objdump --stabs' I will get all the information/ type descriptions I need but I hope there is another way to retrieve this information rather than working it out from the text in .stabstr.

How does gdb does it?

Thanks for your help

Roul Oldenburger