Re: Cross Compiling GDB

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 03:17:02PM +0100, Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:

> On 20/08/2003 15:03:16 Izo wrote:
> >Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:
> >>I'm trying to build a gdb debugger to be run on ARM Linux to debug apps
> >>natively running under ARM Linux.  I will be building gdb using the
> >>arm-linux-gcc cross compiler on an Intel box, so was trying to configure
> >>with:
> >>target=arm-linux
> >>build=i386-linux
> >>host=arm-linux
> >>with-headers=<path to kernel sources>/linux-2.4.19/include
> >>

> >So you are building the gdb with the ix86 machine - so
> >host="i386-linux", or better (if you are using PIV - host="i686-linux")
> >So you are building for the arm target ==> target="arm-linux"
> >So the build is (amongst other builds) build="arm-linux"
> >
> >configure --prefix=whatever --host="i686-linux" --target="arm-linux"
> >--build="arm-linux"
> >
> >Consider using the export CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS="-fsigned-char -mcpu=one of
> >the arm ones -march=right one" prior to running configure to get the
> >properly working and optimized code for your target. Especially the
> >-fsigned-char (see the newest DrDobbsJournal for other ARM
> >compatibility/portability issues)
> >

> So you think host should be i386-linux, but the previous email in this
> thread suggests that Daniel Jacobowitz gets it to build with the host
> as arm-linux.  Can someone please give me a definition of, or
> the document that defines the meaning of host, target and build?

The confusion is because you didn't specify clearly which kind of
debugger you wanted.  You want a native debugger, not a cross debugger,
so you want host=arm-linux.

build: where you are building
host: where the result will run
target: the kind of binaries it will be able to debug/compile/whatever.
	only applicable to tools like gcc and gdb.  For instance, you
	never build glibc with --target.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz