Re: Cross Compiling GDB

On 20/08/2003 15:03:16 Izo wrote:
>Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:
>>I'm trying to build a gdb debugger to be run on ARM Linux to debug apps
>>natively running under ARM Linux.  I will be building gdb using the
>>arm-linux-gcc cross compiler on an Intel box, so was trying to configure
>>with:
>>target=arm-linux
>>build=i386-linux
>>host=arm-linux
>>with-headers=<path to kernel sources>/linux-2.4.19/include
>>

>So you are building the gdb with the ix86 machine - so
>host="i386-linux", or better (if you are using PIV - host="i686-linux")
>So you are building for the arm target ==> target="arm-linux"
>So the build is (amongst other builds) build="arm-linux"
>
>configure --prefix=whatever --host="i686-linux" --target="arm-linux"
>--build="arm-linux"
>
>Consider using the export CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS="-fsigned-char -mcpu=one of
>the arm ones -march=right one" prior to running configure to get the
>properly working and optimized code for your target. Especially the
>-fsigned-char (see the newest DrDobbsJournal for other ARM
>compatibility/portability issues)

So you think host should be i386-linux, but the previous email in this
thread suggests that Daniel Jacobowitz gets it to build with the host
as arm-linux.  Can someone please give me a definition of, or
the document that defines the meaning of host, target and build?

Thanks.

--
Chris Pedley,  Graduate Engineer
Intellectual Property Solutions Division