Re: Cross Compiling GDB

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:20:47AM +0100, Chris.Pedley@arm.com wrote:

> On 19/08/2003 19:31:05 gdb-owner wrote:

> >> "Cygwin sources for gdb"?  The sources for cygwin's gdb are the same as
> >> for any other platform.
> >
> >If so I apologize, but I swear I've heard of local patches from the
> >cygwin people before.  Maybe I was thinking of another tool?
> >
> >In any case, that error message doesn't come from the FSF sources
> >anywhere.
> >
> >--
> >Daniel Jacobowitz
> >MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer
>
> I presume that the GDB at the following location isn't cygwin specific?
> ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/gdb-5.3.tar.gz
>
> However, if you look at line 53 in gdb-5.3/readline/configure.in then
> it issues the error given above if cross compiling for a non-cygwin
> target.
>
> Also my questions about build, host and target have been raised
> because I'm unsure about the check for a cross compiler at line 123
> in gdb-5.3/configure.in.  This checks whether the host and target
> are the same thing, and only assumes it is a cross compiler if they
> are different.  Why isn't this actually checking build and host?

Can you be a little clearer what you're trying to do?

First of all, that seems like a really lame bug in readline.  But it's
easily fixable.  But second, do you want a cross debugger or a native
debugger for a non-cygwin host?  $is_cross_compiler is whether the GCC
being built will be a cross compiler - that configure script is shared
with GDB.  That's a host vs target issue.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz