Re: parallelized 'ld'?

Andrew,

> >> I believe one identified problem is how the symbol table uses hash
> >> tables.  The symbol tables are being given a careful upgrade.  Was this
> >> what you noticed?
> >
> > No, it is handling BINCL records in STABS. I have replaced the linear
search
> > in dbxread.c, function find_corresponding_bincl_psymtab() with hash
table,
> > and this shaved 3 minutes off the GDB initialization time in our case
> > (on 333MHz Sparc Ultra).
> > Please note that our compiler is gcc 2.95, and that this is for STABS
> > debugging
> > format. I can send the diffs to the interested parties; they are for 5.0
> > GDB, though.
>
> Ah.  Unless you/cisco have an assignment, a bug report pointing at the
> offending code would be better.
It turns out there is already an open PR#975:

Reporter's email:klee@apple.com
Number:975
Category:symtab
Synopsis:[RFA] Use hash to speed up BINCL/INCL processing.
Severity:serious
Priority:medium
State:open
Arrival-Date:Thu Jan 30 04:48:00 UTC 2003
Last-Modified:Sun Feb 16 04:18:00 UTC 2003

Alexander Smundak