MIPS64 problem with symbols

I have built a GDB cross tool for the MIPS 64 bit processor hosted
on Intel Linux.   GDB works OK in controlling the target but symbols
fail to load.   In particular, the start address is truncated to 32 bits.
My base address is 0xffffffffa0080000.   When I load symbols
I get an error message;

(Internal error: pc 0xa0080000 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

The symbols in the elf file look OK so I think that the problem is
in GDB.   Is cross GDB known to work on 64 bit targets when hosted
on a 32 bit Intel host?

Thanks,
Pete.