Re: Terminally slow (75 seconds) on some steps

See SYMBOL_SET_NAMES - I fixed that fairly recently.  Also,
add_psymbol_to_list is how most partial symbols are added; that uses
the same name cache.  If you're talking about the call to bcache in
add_psymbol_with_dem_name_to_list, it's only used by hpread.c.  Fixing
this did in fact improve the hit rate.

Ah. So the only bcache call is to add the partial symbol to the psymbol cache. That narrows things down a bit. Wonder if setting CHAIN_LENGTH_THRESHOLD lower would help.

>c011f6b8 663       2.3393     vmlinux                  do_anonymous_page
>00000000 622       2.1946     XFree86                  (no symbols)
>08134b74 574       2.0253     gdb                      read_partial_die

Ok, so its spending a lot of time reading partial symbols.

I've got some plans in this direction... just haven't had time to do
anything about it yet :(

What about the kernel? 3.5 seconds copying data to the user space is suprising. Can linux, given page sized read requests do it using page swapping?

The other question is where in GDB (?) the requests are comming from. I suspect target read, but it could be symbol file related.

Andrew