Re: [Patch] ld config bits for i860 coff target

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 10:58:26AM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:

How quickly people forget :-(

The developer tools came to use specific generated versions of those files because people encountered host dependant problems with the generators. Guarenteed that the generated files being run, were identical across all fronts.

I didn't forget.  If we re-encounter such problems then we can go back
to having blessed tarballs.  Your "idealistic" goal is a lot more
realistic than you seem to think; the autotools have matured a great
deal.

Note also that any GCC developer's opinions need to be heavily, if not totally discounted when it comes to GDB. Its GDB, and not GCC that will get to sort out GDB's mess.

I'd like to see hard evidence that the proposal works before considering an implementation.

Andrew