Re: Need Help for bringing m68k-based bdm target-patches form gdb-5.2.1 to gdb-5.3

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:08:11AM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Josef Wolf <jw@raven.inka.de> writes:
>
> > Ough? Does that mean that gdb should not be used to debug supervisor mode?
>
> GDB was designed to debug user level programs, which have no way to
> see supervisor-only registers.  So from GDB's point of view they don't
> exist.  That does not mean that GDB on m68k can not be extended to
> handle them, you just need a way to get their contents from the target
> (no current m68k target provides that).

IMHO, seeing this registers would be a great benefit when you go behind
user-only code (e.g in the embedded world). If I understand correctly, it
would not be a great deal to support them. So why not to support?

> By arbitrary I mean not externally imposed.  The numbers are chosen
> for convenience inside GDB, and exposed only to the target interface,
> where they are suitably translated when communicating with the target.

But this means you need to know the "inside meanings" when you want to
assign different numbers. And that is exactly my problem. I don't know
those "insight meanings" and I can't find any place where the
"insight meanings" are described.

> > BTW: I still don't have a clue what this MULTI_ARCH stuff is all about and
> >      how multi-arch targets are meant to be adopted.
>
> MULTI_ARCH means that every target architecture hooks in through the
> gdbarch structure at runtime, instead of hard coding the interface
> characteristics at compile time.  Targets that set GDB_MULTI_ARCH to
> GDB_MULTI_ARCH_PARTIAL are not quite there yet, but the basic support
> is present.

But then I still have no idea how to add a new MULTI_ARCH target. AFAICS
the gdbarch.[ch] files are generated automatically. That introduces a lot
of confusion to me.

--
Please visit and sign http://petition-eurolinux.org and http://www.ffii.org
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --