Terminate a downloading program please help

HI All,

I am using  mipsel-elf-gdb GNU gdb 20030516.
My problem is I am not able to terminate the GDB session while downloading
the program
to the target.I cannot send any commands to GDB before completing the
downloads.

So if the user want to terminate the session he has to wait till download
completes.

I am using the GDB from Eclipse.

Please help.

Thanks in advance,