Re: Next for GDB

Is today Scary Andrew Mail Day?  8-)

At Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:47:12 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Cagney" wrote:
> [ ... ]  My curent TODO list for gdb includes
>
> [ ... ]
> - the sim vector

What's on your to-do list there?

If there's going to be much work on the interface to the simulator,
one thing that *should* be implemented IMO is some mechanism to allow
multiple processors in a simulator to be exposed to GDB, probably
using some thread-related mechanism.

I've not looked into GDB's thread bits for about a year and a half, i
don't recall if it splits the notion of 'user thread' vs. 'kernel
context' (i.e., M and N in MxN threading systems) or tries to make any
such distinction.  Multiple cores would kind-of correspond to multiple
kernel contexts...

i've got a year and a half old diff that starts adapting some old
version of GDB (5.2?) to support multiple cores/threads under
simulation, if somebody wants it.

(in order to support debugging multiple cores in our gdb+simulator --
again a plug for http://sibyte.broadcom.com/public/resources/#tools --
we currently use a fairly nasty but functional hack.  I started to try
to fix that, but then that business trip ended and lack of
productivity resumed.)

cgd