updating state

I am implementing support for a target which allows two debuggers attached
simultaneously. The problem is, that gdb's idea of the target's state gets
out of sync with the actual state if the second debugger performs an action.
Can someone point me to a function/way to invalidate gdb's caches and force an
update?

Thanks,
Bernd