From: "Jafa" <jafa@silicondust.com>
To: "Andrew Cagney" <ac131313@redhat.com>
Cc: <gdb@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: ignore helper no longer works?

Hi Andrew,

>- When stepping, the need to identify and single step through
>trampolines / helpers.

I have updated the backtrace code so that if it detects that it is in an
epilogue stub then return a frame with no known return address (0) and no
known FP (0).

I can probably work out the FP of the previous function if need be, but have
no hope (without some simulation) of figuring out the return address.

Step-over at the end of a fucntion results in gdb running without stopping
(and it doesn't call ignore_helper).

One way to address this problem would be for gdb to call ignore_helper, and
then know not attempt a stack-backtrace.

Another solution (ok, crude hack) would be for the tdep to cache the last
known PC so that if it steps into a stub then it knows where it came from.

>- When stopped, the need to back trace out of a trampoline / helper.

I think it is accceptable not being able to do a backtrace if you are in an
epilogue helper.... the code now returns that the FP and PC are unknown to
abort the backtrace.

I am open to ideas (I figure this must be a rare but general problem). If
all else fails I will implement the crude hack above because I need to get
this working.

Thanks

Nick