Re: Multilib GDB on Linux S390x (zSeries) [Deutsche Boerse Systems: Virus checked]

Ok!
So how can I build a 32 bit gdb? I didn't find an configure option to build it.

On the other hand there is a option
"set architecture"  that can be set to

(gdb) set architecture
Requires an argument. Valid arguments are s390:31-bit, s390:64-bit, auto.

but it has no effect.
And I think that gdb is multilib capable (on sparc it is).

So I made an experiment. I replaced in the gdb source tree the bfd subdirectory
with the newest binututils bfd directory, compiled it and now the gdb can read
the symbols.
It seems that the bfd part in gdb is not up to date ?? I take it from
binutils-2.13.2.

But now I have an other problem. When I set a Break point and run the program, i
get some strange error:

(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x400418: file hello.c, line 4.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /xentric/volkdir/src/a.out
Warning:
Cannot insert breakpoint -1.
Error accessing memory address 0x9ddc: Input/output error.
The same program may be running in another process.
(gdb)

other things like accessing symbols (whatis) works.
Any suggestions ?

|-------+-------------->
|       |              |
|       | Andreas      |
|       | Jaeger       |
|       | <aj@suse.de> |
|       |              |
|       | 25.06.2003   |
|       | 13:03        |
|       |              |
|-------+-------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  |     To:  Dirk Volkmar/DBS/GDB@Deutsche Boerse                              |
  |     cc:  gdb@sources.redhat.com^                                           |
  |     Subject:  Re: Multilib GDB on Linux S390x (zSeries) [Deutsche Boerse   |
  | Systems: Virus checked]                                                    |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  >--------------------|
  |                    |

"Dirk Volkmar" <Dirk.Volkmar@deutsche-boerse.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> We are porting some software to linux for zSeries. The software uses MQSeries
> that is only availabe for 32 bit. So we use the gcc with the -m31 switch.
> The Appliction work but could'nt be debugged with gdb.

You need a 32-bit debugger for this,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, 90429 Nürnberg, Germany